For our previous theme, Dreams, I focused on the "hopes and aspirations" connotation of dreaming, and I even titled my piece Wishes and Dreams
So when our current theme, Wishes, was announced, I felt like "I just did that, now what do I do?"
But an image quickly popped into my head, based on a childhood practice of blowing dandelion seeds up into the sky to make a wish.
This piece is definitely influenced by two of the other Endeavourers. First, Janine, with her magical story-telling pieces like Dream in Color
, and second, Catherine, (especially her piece Cycles
) because of the way she chooses illustrative elements -- to me she chooses elements that are essential, but never predictable or dull.
So in this piece I was going for more of a pared-down look, but one that evoked a story.
As I said, when we were young, we blew dandelion seeds up into the sky to make a wish. I am amazed the grown-ups never stopped us, because we must have been spreading dandelions all over their perfect lawns. Maybe they were just glad for a moment of peace.
I decided to make my own folklore to add to this childhood belief, to say that the wish seeds sail up to the moon and slowly fill it up. As we all make wishes and wait patiently, the moon fills up to overflowing, and then our wishes fall back to earth as beautiful, unique drops. If we reach out and capture them, our wishes come true, but maybe not in the sense we were expecting.
|Detail of the dandelion heads and leaves.|
|Detail of the full moon and the waning moon.|
|Detail of the falling wish drops.|
I had so much fun working on this piece. I try out new techniques for every piece, and this time I played with decorative machine stitches, bobbin work, and making covered buttons.
Although I tried on new styles inspired by Janine and Catherine, I stuck with my usual vocabulary of materials -- silk, Lumiere paints, Lutradur, beads, and all kinds of shiny and sparkly threads. I also repeated some techniques I have used before, such as mixing realistic and abstract imagery, padding shapes for more 3-D effects, and placing shapes to expand the regular quilt rectangle.
I would like to add more beading, and more stitching to integrate the free-standing shapes with the background better. But I enjoyed working on this piece and I look forward to spending more time with it.