Tuesday 1 August 2023

Floating around

 Like so many of these challenges I took forever to decide upon my project for this theme. 


My lightbulb moment was coming across this unfinished project from the textile printing summer school I attended last year. I realised that I could use this as the starting point for a bigger piece of work with a water/underwater theme.




Rummaging through my cupboards I came across these orphan blocks that I thought would work with the original piece and fit the watery theme.


This is what I ended up with! You can see the original blocks, which have now been embellished with embroidery stitches, FMQ stitching and a random selection of beads and sequins. 

My luckiest find, and the focal point of Floating Around, was this piece of frog and lily pad cross stitch that I inherited when my parents passed away four years ago. My mother was an avid cross stitcher and left a box full of pieces just like this, so I am really pleased to have been able to put this one, at least, to use.

I also inherited several pots and blister packs of beads so they were put to use in Floating Around too. 

My intention is to mount Floating Around on a canvas but that will have to wait until I find one the correct size! 


Looking forward to seeing the results of my fellow Endeavourers responses to this quarter's challenge, they will, no doubt, be inspiring as usual. 

If you want to read more about the construction of Floating Around head on over to Celtic Thistle Stitches



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I like the cross-stitched piece. The beads add lots of interest as does the netting. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbi, the cross-stitch piece was the icing on the cake. I did feel guilty for a couple of minutes when I was stitching over it but I reckoned it was better being used like that than sitting in a box for several more years :)

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, and so calming to look at. I love the sense of drifting motion! And like you, I really love combining those odds and ends of pieces into a cohesive whole. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen, I had such fun rummaging through my boxes of threads and beads for this. Sometimes it is good to be a hoarder :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh…this is wonderful! All your embellishments take it over the top. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I had a ball adding the embellishments it was definitely my favourite part of the process :)

      Delete
  4. I love this piece, with all the fun embellishments! It's fun to see how you start and then find additional items to add (like that cross stitch!). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wendy, it took me a while to come up with a plan for this theme, but I had a great time putting it all together once I started :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the different elements you've brought together in this piece. It's beautiful and will look great mounted on a canvas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, I was delighted to finally liberate some of my orphan blocks from the cupboard :)

      Delete