Tuesday 1 August 2023

Collage: Fantasticat

When the prompt was selected, I thought I'd make a quilt I've been wanting to make for a long time. But then, I realized I could use it for a different upcoming prompt. Never fear. You'll see it eventually. Instead, I went in search of something else. Eventually, I came across a photograph I'd saved at least two years before. It was an illustration from the NYTimes by artist and illustrator Angie Wang. 


When I saw her illustration, I knew right away I wanted to make a quilt from it. I wrote to the artist and requested her permission. But then, so much time passed, that I felt it was important to ask again...just to be sure. She responded saying she was "excited about it!" Okay, then. So off I went. Here is the quilt I call "Fantasticat."


Usually, when I make a quilt like this, I start from the center and make my way outward. For this one, I did just the opposite, starting at the outer edges and making my way inward.


My stash is not heavy with solids, and I was trying to stay fairly true to the colors she'd used.


Even with borders, my quilt ended up at 19 x 19 inches. So you can see that some of the pieces were very, very small.


As I reached the middle, it was hard to decide which pieces went over which. 


Any color could have served as the background "foundation" piece.


When all the color was added, I settled on white as the foundation, peeled the color off my teflon pressing sheet, and fused the whole of it to a white background.


From there I added borders. That inner purple is a hand-woven fabrics brought to me from Guatemala by a friend of my son.


And then I quilted it using a microtex needle and monofilament thread.


The outer border was quilted with a variegated thread in a ribbon motif to finish it off.


The quilt back was made using some fabric I'd used in another quilt. The colors were just right, and so that was a lucky find in my stash. I added hanging pockets and a center loop.


For small quilts, I like this method of running a dowel through to keep everything straight and flat.


And now it has a place of honor among the other cats in my stairwell "Mewseum."


I hope you like my quilt. I had so much fun making it. Working with so many bright colors was a delight for the eyes. 

13 comments:

  1. You made it look so easy to do, although I know it is a lot of work to get all those little pieces in the right place! It looks great on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Originally, I hung it in the upstairs “Mewseum,” but I moved it down where it had better light.

      Delete
  2. A lot of work but the result is beautiful. Thanks for all the pictures of how you did it. I like your cat wall, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m a cat lover. It was fun.

      Delete
  3. That is just so much fun. Great design and fabulous to make it in a textile version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous! When I first saw it, I thought, Oh, did she print the picture on fabric and then quilt it? but NO, you did all those tiny irregular shapes!! So impressive, a great interpretation of the original, and a great response to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m so glad you like it.

      Delete
  5. This is fabulous Barbara, you always come up with such intricate and time-intensive work I think you must never sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona. I got a chuckle from your “never sleep” comment. Just an early riser.

      Delete
  6. This is incredible! The picture is great and you've done a brilliant job of recreating it in fabric. It looks like it was very tricky to make but the end result is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, this Humingbird is so beautiful. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, you captured the artist picture perfectly! I hope you sent her a picture and this article. I so enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete