Tuesday 1 August 2023

A Humming Collage

 My first thought when I saw that the new theme was collage was to do something simple, whatever that would be. I had a difficult time coming up with a subject along those lines. I started to peruse my books to see if I had any inspiration, and that's when I stumbled upon this book, given to me by my daughter awhile ago. 


I had completely forgotten that I even had this book. When she gave it to me, I thought I'd likely never try anything like that, but still hung on to the book. Even when I started paging through, I thought "don't think I could do this". On the other hand, it was very intriguing, and it seemed to fit the collage theme! 

Then Christian Dalbec, a photographer from northern Minnesota that I follow on Instagram, posted a photo of a hummingbird on his Instagram feed, a cropped image of the hummingbird's head, which you can see here. I reached out to Christian to ask if I could use his photo as inspiration for this challenge, and he agreed. Now I was committed. 


After reading through the book, watching some Susan Carlson videos and studying Christian's photograph, I dove in, sketching out the hummingbird head on fabric, then starting the process of building the collage. To say it made a huge mess is an understatement (bits of fabric everywhere), but what grand fun! 


This is the image in its early stages. There was much pinning and eventually gluing. Even after the pieces were tacked on with glue, some were changed. I could only work for so long before I had to step away and work on other projects, just to give my brain a break. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge. 

Eventually, it was finished. Once all the pieces were glued down, I did some thread painting using threads that matched the fabrics. My free motion quilting skills are still not great, and I didn't want my rudimentary skills with thread painting to be too obvious. It was fun to look at the back and see how my quilting got more relaxed and improved as I went along. 



This photo doesn't show it well, but I thought you'd enjoy seeing the back. I used 12 different thread colors, all Aurifil 50 wt., all from my thread stash. It was grand fun until it came time to bury the threads! 

And finally, the finish! 


This was, by far, my most challenging project since I've been part of this group. It was so much fun, but so much work! Will I make another one? I'm not sure, but I have been thinking about subjects, so maybe. This finished piece measures 18.5 inches by 26.5 inches, a very small project compared to the size of the projects worked on by Susan Carlson, the author of Serendipity Quilts. I'm terribly tempted to do something on a larger scale, but then I think of the time and the mess - but oh, the fun! 

I'll write up more details about the creating of this piece on my personal blog, if you are interested. Thanks for the fun, yet challenging, challenge! 

Wendy






12 comments:

  1. Lovely. You did a wonderful job. The fabrics you used look like feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was interesting to see if I had the right fabrics to create the feathers!

      Delete
  2. I love this Wendy. I believe I have that same book. I’ll have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a very helpful book; she takes away the intimidation of trying something like this. It was grand fun!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! The richness of the colours are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had fun digging through my fabrics, despite the mess it made!

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful Wendy, and so intricate I can well understand why you had to step away from time to time. It was worth all that effort though, it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very glad that I decided to give it a try!

      Delete
  5. This is spectacular quilt. I can't even imagine how complicated it all was to put it all together but it looks amazing. I'm glad you had so much fun making it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Janine! I had to just laugh at the mess it made, it was almost worse than improv! But it was addictive, trying to get that right colorization!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lets see if this publishes in the correct spot this time.
    Beautiful , fantastic job withe the humming bird. Love the fabric choices. She does come alive.

    ReplyDelete