Tuesday 1 August 2023

Bountiful Bouquet Collage

With such a wide-open topic, I thought I would use this opportunity to blend a lot of vintage materials together with some new-to-me techniques. I buy crates of linens at auctions, and I have even rescued sewing baskets from the side of the road, and it is always so much fun to find out what's inside! 

 So I pulled together a shredded tablecloth, a torn feed sack with a lovely tatted border, hem-stitched linen napkins, and old handkerchiefs, and combined them with some new materials. I count the work of six other makers besides me in this piece!

A collage of flowers, 1930s to 2023

 

Dogwood embroidery from a torn tablecloth of the 1950s.  I added the spiral print which I ended up not liking. But I can always cover them up with other flowers, and there are three more sections of this embroidery to use elsewhere.  :)

Some of the new materials I used were Jacquard Lumiere paints, Tsukneko VersaMagic chalk ink pads, Lutradur, and variegated WonderFil threads. To see more details and to read more about how I made it, you can go to my home blog Deep in the Heart of Textiles.

As always, I enjoyed working on this challenge, and I loved the chance to use up some vintage scraps!

10 comments:

  1. You are a woman after my own heart Gwen, I love that you have produced such a lovely piece from such a disparate set of vintage textiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do love combining vintage pieces! :)

      Delete
  2. Truly a collage and it works well. I love that you included new and vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am not always thrilled with my finished piece, but I do always love the process of pulling things out of drawers and combining them. :)

      Delete
  3. I love repurposing. Fabulous collage using old and new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, I just looked at your gallery and your work is phenomenal! You achieve what I am always after, in unifying all the beautiful bits into a greater whole. I hope you keep showing more on your blog!

      Delete
  4. Your piece is lovely, and I'm always inspired to think about what I could do with all the vintage textiles I have from my ancestors. Your collage has so many interesting features!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have given me a new idea to look at a collage like this as a conversation between earlier makers!

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful use of vintage scraps and I love your line 'I count the work of six other makers besides me in this piece!' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, I tried to reply but I think it just disappeared!
      Thank you for your kind words, and as I said to Wendy, your remark about the other makers has given me an idea to really emphasize the conversation these makers might have had if they had known their work would be combined. :)

      Delete