With such a wide-open topic, I thought I would use this opportunity to blend a lot of vintage materials together with some new-to-me techniques. I buy crates of linens at auctions, and I have even rescued sewing baskets from the side of the road, and it is always so much fun to find out what's inside!
So I pulled together a shredded tablecloth, a torn feed sack with a lovely tatted border, hem-stitched linen napkins, and old handkerchiefs, and combined them with some new materials. I count the work of six other makers besides me in this piece!
|A collage of flowers, 1930s to 2023|
|Dogwood embroidery from a torn tablecloth of the 1950s. I added the spiral print which I ended up not liking. But I can always cover them up with other flowers, and there are three more sections of this embroidery to use elsewhere. :)|
Some of the new materials I used were Jacquard Lumiere paints, Tsukneko VersaMagic chalk ink pads, Lutradur, and variegated WonderFil threads. To see more details and to read more about how I made it, you can go to my home blog Deep in the Heart of Textiles.
As always, I enjoyed working on this challenge, and I loved the chance to use up some vintage scraps!