Monday 1 May 2023

Veni, Vidi, Vici

 Along with Amo, Amas, Amat (I, you, he/she or it loves) the title of this post (I came, I saw, I conquered) is the only Latin I remember from 5 years of study :( 

It is, however, the perfect introduction to my quilt for this quarter's challenge - Maps.


Our middle and youngest sons recently completed their walk along the route of Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland. They have tackled the walk in stages so the section shown in the quilt above was the final section to be walked on a lovely, sunny Sunday last month. We were, fortunately, able to join them for this last section and for the pub lunch celebration after! 


The route shown on the quilt is contained within both of these maps above. When we lived in Northumberland, Hadrian's Wall was a popular destination for days out so, as you can see, the map at the back has been well used :)


Along this part of the wall there were several turrets and milecastles, which are marked on the map and quilt. Part of the route was closed for maintenance, so we had to walk around and through the plantation shown on the left. It was a good test of how waterproof our walking boots were! 

Hadrian's Wall runs from Coast to Coast along the edge of Northumberland and Cumbria and measures 73 miles along its length, but is 80 Roman Miles so I added the Roman Numerals for 80 to signify the boys' achievement. 


 I would like to make a similar quilt for the starting point of their walk so they can have one each to mark their journey.

Looking forward to seeing how my fellow Endeavourers have tackled this new challenge!

Head over to Celtic Thistle Stitches to read some of the background to the whole walk.



8 comments:

  1. What fun! Great idea! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, the first stage of the walk the boys did was over 3 days and they found it hard going but this last stage was very pleasant, so it was nice to celebrate it with a little quilt.

      Delete
  2. What a fun way to remember the walks, both for you and the boys. I hope you post the starting point map if you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realised it was that long but now that I think about it of course it is! Great way to commemorate it for them and I really like the idea of making a matching set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure that they realised it was that long either Ruth :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your boys! Your quilt looks great and it will be a lovely reminder for them. I shall look out for your starting point quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, I will have to hunt out the correct map first :)

      Delete