Monday 1 May 2023

Somewhere like Coverack


For this challenge, I wanted to make a map as a fictional location for some 12th scale models that I have perpetually in progress. As one of the models is a lighthouse, although that isn't included in the map, I needed a suitably coastal location so I looked for pictures of the sort of place I had in mind and then searched for a corresponding map. 

I eventually based this very roughly on a vintage Town Plan, Sea and Coast Chart of Coverack in Cornwall, England. It is a very beautiful location and well worth a quick google search to see some photos. 

Usually, I struggle to think of something to make but this time I had an idea from the start and, ironically,  I had all sorts of trials (including not having a sewing machine for a couple of months, a house full of plaster dust, a christening cake, a nasty virus and some commissioned bags) so it became a very last minute rush despite my early planning and is unfortunately, very rough and ready. 

I tried a new-to-me fused applique collage technique and added machine and hand sewing and permanent marker. It was interesting to try some new things and a miracle to get it done at all but disappointing that the end result doesn't look a bit better! One day I'd like to attempt a more polished version.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone has made this quarter :)

11 comments:

  1. Janine, you are beating yourself up needlessly I think this looks great and definitely somewhere I would be very happy to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it is a lovely place to visit in real life but probably very crowded in the Summer :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, Wendy. Barbara @ Cat Patches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine, I like your finished quilt. The lines are clear and the colors are soft and soothing. It is neat and clean, yet has quite a bit of detail. You have really had so much going on lately - I sure hope things settle down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the permanent marker a lot - gives it an ordnance survey feel and it feels inviting. Never been to Cornwall but its on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I used the marker for speed but I quite like it too...

      Delete
  5. I wanted to add hand-stitching to mine but ran out of time. I think it is a great addition to a calming map, and I hope you can use it for the other projects you mentioned too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was easier to stitch through the bondaweb than I expected but I think it would be hard to stitch through it neatly!

      Delete
  6. Janine, my “anonymous” comment above ended up on the wrong post. Sorry. (Not sure why my posts appear as “anonymous” these days, but it happens on other blogs too. Anyway…your quilt is great. I haven’t tried doing anything with permanent market, but maybe you’ve inspired me. Nice job. I’m sympathetic to the “plaster dust.” I had a similar situation last year, only mine was plumbing related.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. It's looking nice now but it was a lot of mess!

    ReplyDelete