Tuesday 1 February 2022

Feelings: Happiness

 It took me awhile, once again, to come up with an idea for this theme. One day, as I was pondering the theme, I thought "my feelings are a bit like a lava lamp - they ebb and flow throughout the day". That thought stuck with me as I was pondering what to do. Then my daughter gave me a piece of fabric for my birthday that reminded me of a lava lamp, which in turn, made me think of growing up in the 60s and 70s, which led me to think about my brother's red Beetle, to listening to 8-tracks in his Beetle on Sunday afternoons, and a favorite song, The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) written by Paul Simon, performed by Simon & Garfunkle. And that, my friends, is how this quilt emerged. 


See that crazy multi-colored print with the oranges, aquas, pinks, etc.? That's the print my daughter gave me. I went with my improv waves because they are so relaxing and fun, pulling in coordinating fabrics. But I'm getting ahead of myself. My first task was the bottom panel with the words "Feelin' Groovy". I found a font that looked a bit like the 60s and traced it onto Kona Silver fabric. I applied fusible fleece to the background and used different colored threads to add pick stitches around the lettering. 


I even added a button for the center of that funky little flower to dot the "i". To outline the letters I used fabric markers. 





The panel got a bit poofy from the dense stitching, so I had to ponder how I was going to anchor that to the rest of the quilt. More on that in a bit. 

For the improv waves, I pulled coordinating fabrics and just had fun. Then I stitched the wavy strip section to the word panel. I decided to use fusible fleece on the waves section, too, so I didn't have to deal with two different weights of batting. I quilted waves through the strips, attempting to add those lava lamp "blobs" that ooze up and down. I don't know that I was successful, but I enjoyed myself. 




To anchor the panel as best I could, I just did a quick stipple around the edge of the seed stitching. 


My backing and binding is another fun fabric in my stash. The colors seemed to tie in well with the waves. 



Feelin' Groovy reminds me of the feeling of happiness. When all is right with the world, and everything feels carefree. While that is hardly the case in our world today, at least my memories can take me back there! 

Wendy

13 comments:

  1. I'm feeling groovy! This is a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling groovy! I had fun with this one.

      Delete
  2. Oh Wendy, this is such a cool quilt! If I was feeling down and came into a room where it was hanging, it would instantly cheer me! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely think this one has to go on my mini quilt wall. I enjoyed making it!

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! I'm glad you showed some close-ups so we can take in the full glory. The fabrics, colours and embellishments you've used really sum up the era and the mood. It's very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I seriously considered adding some fringe, because that was such a part of that era, but couldn't find any I was happy with. It was fun to create.

      Delete
  4. I love this Wendy. It’s a great quilt, and the lava lamp idea was perfect. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. Nothing fancy, but it was fun.

      Delete
  5. You were definitely successful Wendy, you enjoyed making it, we enjoyed reading about it and everyone will enjoy looking at it, if that isn't success I don't know what is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was an enjoyable project!

      Delete
  6. So much fun in one piece. I has a blue green lava lamp and I miss it. Your piece really captures the flow and vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ruth! I never had a lava lamp, but was always a bit fascinated with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. It is such fun and makes me smile everytime I see it :D

    ReplyDelete