Thursday 1 February 2024

Patterns in Nature - The Lesser Adjutant


Once upon a time in those halcyon days before the pandemic, I went to Sri Lanka with Mr RH and two of our sons to go to a wedding that included a church service, a buddhist ceremony (where traditional dancers/acrobats fetched first the groom then the bride) and a reception with the biggest chandeliers I’ve ever seen, a banquet and dancing into the early hours. The other guests wore saris in all colours and gold bangles and it really was exactly like falling into a scene from a fairytale…

On that same trip, in Wilpattu National Park, I took a photo of this chap, who also seems like he would be at home in a fairy tale.


And I knew one day he (she?) would appear in a quilt, though in this quilt, I ended up selecting/making patterns using shapes cropped from my image of this striking creature and the bird itself remains waiting to be immortalised in stitches on some other occasion.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has made this quarter :)

10 comments:

  1. What a fabulous creature he is Janine and a lovely quilt to boot 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interpretation. And what an interesting bird. Sounds like a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic little piece to remind you of that trip and that amazing bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your rendition of the bird. Sounds like it was an interesting trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a splendid creature! I can see why he was turned into the wonderful patterns in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete