Wednesday 1 November 2023

Dare to be Square

 I had so many ideas for this quarter's challenge - Circles and Squares, that I had real difficulty narrowing the options down to just one project. In the end my inspiration was a quilt, that I came across on a random swipe through Pinterest, with fabric circles appliqued to a background quilted in squares.



I decided to up the ante for the theme by having a black and white gingham fabric for the background and using only dotty fabric for my appliqued circles.


 


The gingham background fabric was quilted rows in a grid pattern and all of the appliqued circle were shadow quilted in the round (or just appliqued for the smaller circles) except this one hence the name of this quilt :)




I love receiving, and fortunately, my family are happy to buy me as birthday and Christmas presents, perfume from a well-known perfumier, who tie up their lovely cream and black boxes and bags with black grosgrain ribbon. I have a nice, little store of this ribbon which I was able to use to bind this challenge quilt. It is only wide enough for a single width binding, which I have stitched down with a zig-zag stitch all round. 

 

One of my other intentions for this challenge was a Halloween themed noughts and crosses quilt for the grandsons, so when I changed my mind to make Dare to be Square instead nearly all of my dotty fabrics were from a Halloween layer cake. 


 

So, along with the cushion from last year's Challenge I had the ideal setting for our hall table for Halloween last night :)

Happy to have completed another Endeavourers Challenge and looking forward to seeing the always fabulous projects my fellow Endeavourers have produced this quarter. 

If you would like to see what else I have been sewing for Halloween head on over to Celtic Thistle Stitches for a quick peek :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this, Fiona. The gingham and polka dots make it so much fun! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I was very pleased when I came across the gingham material and fortunate to have several dotty fabrics in that layer cake bundle :)

      Delete
  2. So cute! It was a great idea to use the patterned fabrics to reflect the theme, and it's great it coordinates with your other project for seasonal decor! Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen, I was very glad that I packed the Halloween fabrics at the last minute for our trip to France as I would have been really stuck for this challenge otherwise :)

      Delete
  3. This a lovely piece and it looks wonderful as part of your halloween display. It was a very clever idea of choose prints with circles and squares :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, I was so pleased to find several dotty prints in the layer cake bundle :)

      Delete
  4. I love a piece of gingham. My first sewing project was a drawstring bag in third class with gingham and cross stich. The black and white makes for a great background fabric and is perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I think my first school sewing project was gingham and cross stitch too :) if memory serves me well (and that is always doubtful these days!) it was an apron rather than a bag.

      Delete