Thursday 1 August 2024

Vintage: Pretty Posies

 Coming up with an idea to use for vintage took me awhile. I ran through a gamut of ideas, none of which seemed to feel right. In the end, I pulled out vintage fabrics and just played around a bit. 


All of the fabrics used in this little quilt are vintage, dating back a couple of decades or more, with the exception of the backing. 

The background fabric is part of a sleeve from an old (and well loved) denim shirt of my husband's. I decided to leave it in the "sleeve shape" because I thought it added a fun twist to the quilt, and it reminded me of a window view for some reason. 



The "table" is a piece of fabric that I remember as a dress for my mom. It is a little sheer with little nubs of thread throughout. I'm not sure what type of fabric it is. 

The vase is from my stash of my grandmother's fabrics. It is cut in a hexie shape, although it is a very wonky hexie, as you can see. I'm not sure who cut the shape, that is the shape I found it in. 

The crocheted lace was made by my grandmother. I've been looking for a chance to use that in one of my quilts, so I'm glad it worked in this little piece! 

The posies, or flowers, are cut from a vintage handkerchief that came from either my grandmother, my great aunts, or my mother. I cut around the flowers and then machine stitched them to the quilt. 

I attached each little piece by raw edge applique with my sewing machine. The trickiest part was stitching around the flowers, and getting them overlapping the lace just so. It all worked out well and went together quickly. 


I kept the quilting very simple and subtle. I stitched straight lines 2 inches apart, then added a serpentine stitch in between. I used Aurifil 50 wt thread in Dove Grey (#2600) for the quilting. 

For the backing, I had this piece on my shelf. I bought this fabric a few years ago for a specific purpose. Since I can no longer recall what that specific purpose was (can you relate??), it has been used for backings. 


I finished the little quilt by binding it with more of the denim shirt fabric. The fabric is so well worn, it was very soft and easy to stitch through. 

So that's what I came up with for the vintage challenge - using vintage fabrics in my stash! I look forward to seeing everyone else's challenge pieces! 

Wendy

6 comments:

  1. Really nice. I love how you reused all fabrics and lace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It makes me happy to have those fabrics and lace used too. It is a quirky little piece, but I'm a little attached to it!

      Delete
  2. I love that every single piece of fabric in your quilt is attached to a memory and I really like that you kept the arm shape for your backing it makes a great window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I enjoy looking at the little quilt and the memories it brings forth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric you used for the table is called "shagbark". From the 1950s or 60s. Dot in NC

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely quilt. I enjoyed hearing the stories behind the different fabrics and I like the way you've kept sleeve shape. It does add a fun twist :)

    ReplyDelete