Friday 1 February 2019

Texture on February 1st

Greetings Fellow Endeavourers!

Having been a member of this group since its inception but, due to a series of bizarre life events, having never actually finished a quilt to post, I am thrilled to have something to show you this time around.

I have always wanted to try my hand at a Cathedral Windows quilt and this seemed a good time to give it a whirl. It's made of nine blocks and measures 14 in / 35.5 cm square. The learning curve was surprisingly steep. I groused to myself that I would finish this sucker and never do another. But, I found little tricks and fixes as I went along, and things came out better as I kept sewing.

The blocks are machine zig-zagged together which is something I would not do again as it makes the intersections at the corners quite thick. The curves of the windows are hand stitched, which is something I like to do -very zen. The buttons add texture and interest and, most importantly, camouflage above referenced crappy intersections.

The background is white muslin, the windows are a fabric by Alex Anderson from a line called "Flutter," and the buttons are from an old shirt of my husband's. And, I see it is snowing softly as I look out my kitchen window.

I wish you all many blessings as we enter February!
Smiles, Maureen




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I love the sublte choice of colours. Having made a sample of cathedral windows I can appreciate the work you have put in. Well worth waiting for and hope to see many more

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pearly buttons give it such a pretty glow. It looks very wintry. The center fabric is subtle, just right to show off the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I love the subtle colouring. It really shows off the texture of this lovely quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! I have always wanted to do a Cathedral Windows pattern too -- I have a few sample squares that my mother-in-law gave up on, so I have a head start, but I know how much work it is! You have created a wonderful sample of the pattern and a great illustration of texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely calm piece! I know what hard work cathedral windows are and yours look very accomplished! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Cathdral Windows! And texture.
    I've been working on a Cathedral Window project too and several of my
    blog friends also. There are different ways of making them, I found a couple of good
    YouTube tutorials that helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful. Love the colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow simply beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete